
The training partnership of Ben, Will, and J D Hayes, known as Lindsay Park, will delay their decision on Mr Brightside’s participation in the Flemington race until acceptances close.
Mr Brightside is expected to be among the entries for the Group 2 Kia Ora Stud Mile (1600m) on Saturday, but Ben Hayes indicated his starting chances are only about 50-50.
In his most recent performance, Mr Brightside finished last behind Pride Of Jenni in the Feehan Stakes (1600m) at Caulfield on September 27.
Following that run, Mr Brightside took part in a jump-out at Flemington last Friday, finishing second.
“It was an OK trial, but we’ve just got to have a good think about it and see how he is on Wednesday,” Hayes commented.
“He’s come through it fine, but we’ve got to talk to the ownership group and make a decision.
“He’s 50-50 on whether he runs otherwise we will give him a break and target the autumn.”
Mr Brightside was sidelined from an autumn campaign earlier this year due to surgery to remove a bone chip and has since had three starts.
He secured a second-place finish on his preferred soft track in the Memsie Stakes at Caulfield first-up, but experienced jarring in the Makybe Diva Stakes at Flemington.
“We thought we had him back on top at Caulfield, but unfortunately, we had to run in the Feehan as there wasn’t an upgrade of the track,” Hayes explained.
“If there had been we would have scratched him, but we weren’t allowed.”
Hayes added that if the decision is made to skip Saturday’s race, Mr Brightside will be given a spell to prepare for the autumn season.
He mentioned that retirement had been discussed, a topic the entire team and ownership group finds difficult.
“We have spoken to the group about it, and we don’t like to talk about it, but probably the autumn may likely be his last campaign,” Hayes stated.
“He’s a rising 10-year-old, but the thing about him is he’s a very sound horse and if there was any inkling there was any problem with him, we would be retiring him.
“He’s a happy, sound horse, he’s a gelding, and has been lightly raced with only 51 starts throughout his whole career.
“He’s had three runs back from injury and he’s been a most special horse to us.
“We want to protect him and maybe give him another good break before we target the autumn.
“If we turn him out now, he can have a bit longer, which may be better for him, but we just want to see how he is closer to acceptance time before making a decision.”
Consider the available racing odds on Mr Brightside if he accepts for the Kia Ora Stud Mile at racing odds.
