Many believed the postponement of Saturday’s Chautauqua Stakes was a missed chance for Persian Spirit, but trainer Symon Wilde was not necessarily among them.
The son of Cable Bay had been backed into $2.40 after heavy rain preceded the 1300-metre Group 3 event, which was eventually called off due to lightning and severe weather forcing an early end to the day’s racing.
Persian Spirit has a previous win on a Heavy track and was thought to be favoured by the conditions on Saturday, but Wilde’s confidence wasn’t as elevated as the punters’.
“I actually prefer him on dry ground because he’s more dynamic,” Wilde stated.
“You’d never scratch him on a wet track, but I actually think he’s at his absolute best on a (Soft) 5 or a 6.”
The Chautauqua Stakes is now scheduled for this Wednesday at Sandown, alongside the 1600m benchmark 84 race that was also abandoned on Saturday.
Persian Spirit is once again the favourite for the rescheduled race, priced at $3.20, with Tennessee Bound at $4.20 and Warnie at $5.
Sandown’s track was rated a Heavy 8 on Monday morning, though sunny skies are forecast for Melbourne on Monday and Tuesday, with a possibility of showers on Wednesday.
The rescheduling means Persian Spirit will travel to Sandown twice in five days from Warrnambool. However, Wilde indicated the initial trip hadn’t seemed to affect the gelding.
“We gave him a little bit of evens on the grass this morning at Warrnambool and he’s all set to go,” Wilde commented on Monday morning.
“He was out in his paddock yesterday, he’ll go the beach tomorrow and he’s eating up well.
“It doesn’t look like it’s knocked him around at all.”
Wilde’s initial strategy was to target the Sir Rupert Clarke Stakes (1400m) the following Saturday after the Chautauqua Stakes. He mentioned that while the new timing isn’t ideal, he would likely proceed with the Group 1 opportunity if the horse performs well on Wednesday.
Persian Spirit returned with a close second place behind Shadhavar in the Listed Regal Roller (1200m) at Caulfield on August 15.
“That was always the aim, to be third up in the Rupert Clarke,” Wilde confirmed.
“We planned to be first-up then three weeks then two weeks into the 1400 metres.
“It’s definitely not ideal but if he happened to win on Wednesday we’ll probably stick to that plan.”
With Persian Spirit back in contention for the Chautauqua Stakes at Sandown this Wednesday, expect competitive racing odds from leading online bookmakers.

